Tuesday 10 February 2015

Girls, Beauty, Sadness and the Sea.

Here are some poignant girls and their stories:


Crying Girl
Sometimes there is a beautiful yet sad quality that we experience in life. I wanted to capture this beauty when illustrating this girl. The sea symbolizes the tears she has raised herself out of, and the clouds still cry in acknowledgement that there are more tears to come. She is serene because she is not overwhelmed by them; she sees beauty in her sadness.  Her eyes are closed and her makeup is theatrical (influenced by Japanese opera), I wanted her to have an ethereal quality that is why she dissolves into the scene.



Girl in Bird Boat
This young girl is traveling the seas in her bird boat; it always takes her safely wherever she wants to go. I came up with this design as a gift for a student of mine who turned 21; it was a wish for her that she stay safe in her life. Wouldn’t it be nice if we all had something that kept us safe as we journeyed through our lives?  


Girl in Bird Boat – in purple.
Sometimes I like to see what would happen to a design if I simply changed the colour. Would it affect the mood, or the message? Would it appeal to certain viewers purely based on colour?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and so creative! You need a 'like' button for all your art 'cause I like it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, you are right, I do need a like button. I will look into that. You mentioned in other correspondence you wanted to purchase a print, just checking that it is the girl on the bird boat - the last one, where the girl is in the purple/blue bird? She is $20 and will take about one week. Does that suit?

      Delete
    2. Hi Trish, I would like to purchase your Blue Birds - I have left a message on the print I looooove! I love your girl too ... Eliza

      Delete
    3. Hi Trish, I would like to purchase your Blue Birds - I have left a message on the print I looooove! I love your girl too ... Eliza

      Delete